So the favorite show at the house is Miranda. And it seems that just about every episode has a reoccurring line by Stevie "What have you done today to make you feel proud?" When she says this she is imitating Heather Small singing her big hit "Proud."
Now, up until this point this song has had little significance, except for the random outburst of one of us in the house singing it to imitate Stevie. However, I finally downloaded the song, basically because I was curious after watching Miranda. But now, when I've actually stopped to listen to the lyrics of the song and what it represents, I feel compelled by its deeper meaning. What exactly have I done today to make myself feel proud?
Here is the actual song by Heather.
What have I done today to make me feel proud? (or since I've started this year)
- Ridden the bus by myself
- Climbed Cavehill
- Helped lead Sunday school
- Spoken in front of the Garnerville congregation
- Spoken on the spot at Friendly Club
- Got asked by a mum to watch her child for a second at Mums & Tots
- Been out of my comfort zone at least once every day
- Updated my blog frequently
- Complained less
- Have a positive attitude
- Tried to find God in something/someone every day
- Gone to a foreign country by myself ( in the sense that I hadn't known anyone I was traveling with for an extended amount of time)
- Made new friendships
- Sang unfamiliar songs
- Played unfamiliar games
- Tried new food
- Fundraised the whole amount before I came over
- Walked to work on my own
There are more things, those are just a few. But I think it's a great thing to think about. What are you doing on a daily basis to make yourself feel proud? What could you do? You can take pride even in the littlest things, because I know if I didn't, some days might feel more like a struggle rather than challenges with positive outcomes.
Here are the lyrics to the song with my thoughts as well:
I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
(I have left a lot of fears out home when I came over to Belfast)
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
(Each day in little ways I do feel my soul ascending in learning more about myself, people, culture, politics, and religion)
I'm on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
You could be so many people
If you make that break for freedom
(You have the chance to make a difference, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to be here and I made the "break for freedom" to do something in my life that will make a difference no matter how slight.)
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Still so many answers I don't know (there are so many answers)
Realize that to question is how we grow (to question is to grow)
(I've had so many questions since I've arrived here about myself and faith amongst other things but you can only grow if you take the chance to ask these questions and learn more.)
So I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I'm on my way
Can't stop me now
You can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
You could be so many people
If you make that break for freedom
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
We need a change
Do it today
I can feel my spirit rising
We need a change
So do it today
'Cause I can see a clear horizon
(We do need a change in this world, and if each person takes initiative to do something about it the world can become a different place. And with this thought I do feel my spirit rising.)
What have you done today to make you feel proud? (to make you feel proud)
So what have you done today to make you feel proud?
'Cause you could be so many people
Just make that break for freedom
So what have you done today to make you feel proud?
Here are the lyrics to the song with my thoughts as well:
I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
(I have left a lot of fears out home when I came over to Belfast)
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
(Each day in little ways I do feel my soul ascending in learning more about myself, people, culture, politics, and religion)
I'm on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
You could be so many people
If you make that break for freedom
(You have the chance to make a difference, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to be here and I made the "break for freedom" to do something in my life that will make a difference no matter how slight.)
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Still so many answers I don't know (there are so many answers)
Realize that to question is how we grow (to question is to grow)
(I've had so many questions since I've arrived here about myself and faith amongst other things but you can only grow if you take the chance to ask these questions and learn more.)
So I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I'm on my way
Can't stop me now
You can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
You could be so many people
If you make that break for freedom
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
We need a change
Do it today
I can feel my spirit rising
We need a change
So do it today
'Cause I can see a clear horizon
(We do need a change in this world, and if each person takes initiative to do something about it the world can become a different place. And with this thought I do feel my spirit rising.)
What have you done today to make you feel proud? (to make you feel proud)
So what have you done today to make you feel proud?
'Cause you could be so many people
Just make that break for freedom
So what have you done today to make you feel proud?
Great song and great words to think about.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Most of of can't do great things but small things with great love make a difference in our lives and the lives of others.