Thursday, September 20, 2012

And the beat goes on

I feel like a lot has happened since I last posted yet that was only three days ago. I think this also may be a pattern for what my year looks like in Belfast.  A lot happens in a short period of time. 

This week so far:

Monday- I spent with all the YAV's and Doug going over what we want out of this year together as a group. We had a lot of good discussion, but we will have to work on making time for each other throughout the year besides scheduled together time. It is hard in the sense of distance because there are four of us in East Belfast and four of us in North Belfast. 

I'll compare it to the East side of Des Moines to West Des Moines. In a car, it is really not that far of a drive and doesn't take too terribly long especially without traffic. However, if you were to take a bus, that time could be doubled making it harder to get there. That is kind of how it is from East to North Belfast. It requires two bus rides which one can take up to 45 minutes (or atleast we've experienced a bus ride that took that long to get to the City Centre.) So it can be a bit difficult. But we all want to hang out so we'll just have to work to make it happen.

Doug also showed us a video on the marching bands here in Belfast. It's a really hard topic for me to try to explain so I will post the link. I think it would be better for you to watch it rather than me try and explain the complexities. One of the other volunteers is working in the Shankill area where the video takes place so it put a lot more things in perspective for me. I encourage you to watch it, just realize it is almost an hour long. 

The Men Who Won't Stop Marching (Flute Bands in Northern Ireland)


Then I went over to Caroline's which was great and we watched what is now my new favorite tv show: Miranda. 
We're literally quite obsessed at my house now. It is such fun! 


And after Miranda, I went bowling again and this time David and Beth came along. I think it was great for them to see some of the people I'm working with at Garnerville and vice versa. Overall my score was complete rubbish, but it doesn't matter I had a great time anyways. 

And I got to talking on my ride back and heard some personal stories on The Troubles and opinions on how the media still labels people as Protestant and Catholic here. I thought it was really interesting to hear what someone thought of the media and stories about working in a Catholic school as a Protestant. However, it is not a religious conflict and I cannot state that enough.

Tuesday- Child's Play at Garnerville and then I had lunch with Peter and discussed how the week was going and an assortment of things. Later, I went to the Community Centre for After Schools registration and got to meet more people I will be working with this year there in addition to the kids. I then denied  getting a lift home and walked through the park I had been directed to only to get poured on, but you know what? I really didn't care. I put a rain jacket and laughed at how hard it was raining, (I think people around here must think I'm a bit off my rocker always smiling when it rains and laughing.) But as I turned around(don't ask me why I turned around) I saw a rainbow.  It was perfect. Now, later on I may change my mind about the rain but for now, I find it refreshing. And hey, if I get to see a beautiful rainbow.. I can't complain. 



Which brings me to a point that I heard from one of the elderly women on the bus on Sunday. She said "No use in complaining, it won't do anything for you." And I thought... she's incredibly right. I believe I have been told that before but overhearing her saying it to someone else.. made it more direct.  What will complaining do for me? NOTHING. So why waste my time and energy in doing so.. I shouldn't. 

Wednesday- I went to Mums and Tots at the Community Centre and had a good time meeting the different children and playing with them as well as getting to know the mums. Then I went to Friendly Club for the first time. It is a lunch for some of the elderly members of Garnerville and just a hoot. I helped serve the meal and clean the dishes and then provided the entertainment.  

I was brought up in front of everyone and told by Leonora that I was the entertainment for the lunch. Usually there is some form of entertainment whether it is a game or musical performance. So I explained a bit about myself and got asked several questions. I am delighted to now know that there is someone who will bake pumpkin pie for me and someone who has a cuddly cat, (a lot of people have cats but they don't like to be held and cuddled.) All in all Friendly Club was lovely, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I then walked home again after refusing several lifts home again. I've found walking is a chance for me to get some exercise, learn more about my surroundings, and it gives me a chance to reflect. I really enjoy walking and I think so far this week have walked about ten miles. I am quite proud of myself for it. 
Another photo from my walk home. 


Thursday- I met with Doug today (we each meet with him one to one every other week) and it was good to just talk about how everything has been going so far. I came home and cleaned the house.. well the kitchen and the living room. I think I've become a bit more controlling on the cleaning bit because it is the only thing I can control here. So my room is incredibly clean and I've tried to keep the rest of the house clean as well. I know that's probably a bit shocking for people back home. 

 I then went to the Knocknagoney Primary School to help out with the Eco Club which is also going to be Young Enterprise Club as well. It is a program that teaches students about creating a business and the children actually do indeed create their own business and sell their product. I'm really excited about helping out and it was just brilliant today. We made bracelets and they learned about what making a product entails. 

I apologize that this entry is seeming to just be more of a recap this week. I will try and be more reflective in times to come. It is just hard to process it everything so quickly and sometimes reflection comes later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment