Monday I had bowling with members from Garnerville in addition to the YAV meeting with Doug.
Tuesday was Child's Play at Garnerville
-I got to go to the Knocknagoney Community Centre and meet Elizabeth who I will be working with this year. This upcoming Tuesday I will be going to the centre for the first time to help with after school programmes.
Wednesday I met with Peter and we went over my schedule and we talked about a few things I can design for the church. I'm really excited to be able to contribute my graphic design skills to various projects for Garnerville, like a brochure with all the activities going on this year. At night I went to dinner at a family from church's house and then from there went to Girls Brigade. I think the best way to describe Girls Brigade back home is Girl Scouts but there is Scripture and prayer involved. We played games, colored pictures, and it was good just to get to meet the girls and get a feel for how it all goes.
Thursday I had coffee with some of the elderly ladies from Garnerville at a place just literally a 15 sec. walk from my house. It was mad but great fun to get to have a wee chat with them. Plus I had the most delicious scone (berries and white chocolate.) Then later I walked to Knocknagoney Primary school for the Eco-Club, and arrived over 40 minutes early, (I'm still getting the hang of knowing how long it takes to walk places.)
I also was shown an alternate route with no round- a- bout to get to Garnerville which was absolutely grand. However, when I showed up I learned that the club would not be happening that day. But you know, despite having walked about 2 miles to get there... I didn't care. I had enjoyed my walk, I had enjoyed the scenery and it didn't phase me that the club would start the following week. I was just in such a positive good mood. I loved it. And I got to talk to the teacher I will be working with at the school and we discussed me helping start a school newspaper which I couldn't be more excited about. Also, another fun tidbit the man who will be helping to teach the club used to be a footman for the Queen and knew Princess Diana. I am quite excited to meet him.
Photos from my walk to Knocknagoney Primary School
Friday I went to Prayers for the Community which is a combination of members from Garnerville and members from Knocknagoney Church of Ireland. It's really a great experience and the past couple of times people have prayed for me which I have found really moving. I enjoy the idea of praying in a community of people and for the community in which they are living in. After that I attended the school assembly with Peter. At some point I will be in charge of one of the school assemblies. It consists of a talk and something engaging with the children and a Bible lesson.
Saturday was awesome. The four of us girls in the house and David set off to hike up to Cavehill. I knew it was going to be challenging considering I never hike but I still wanted to make the effort to do it. And I'm incredibly happy that I did. I not only got an amazing view but I felt like I accomplished something in the end because it was a really difficult hike at times. Luckily, we had David there to help us who is really into hiking and made sure we hydrated and wore enough layers and was there to encourage us and make sure we didn't fall. It was scary once we got to a certain point because it's very steep and you're basically crawling up the side of the hill, and if you fall .. well I don't think you'd be getting back up. But with everyone there and motivating each other we made it. It was the most spectacular view. After the hike we went to Belfast Castle and enjoyed dinner and live music. Overall it was a great day with good quality time spent together.
| Belfast Castle |
Loves:
-Having tea all the time every day with lots of biscuits
-How warm and welcoming everyone is
-Turning on electrical outlets to use them
-Seeing hills and countryside from basically anywhere in Belfast
-Seeing sheep roaming the hills close to Garnerville
-How incredibly green the grass is
-How lucky I feel to be here
- Walking everywhere (I think I have walked over 10 miles this week)
-All of the sweets, whether it's biscuits, chocolate, or buns ( there isn't really an equivalent to buns at home.. there like.. cupcakes/muffins/... buns?)
-I love the people I am meeting here
- I love that Tracey came over to show us how to turn on our heat.. now we are quite toasty. She also brought blankets for us to keep warm.
-The generosity I have received here cannot be described. It is simply wonderful.



Knowing how busy you are, I think it is wonderful that you keep us so informed. Your work there comes first and you need to save some time just to enjoy all these wonderful experiences. It's amazing what you are learning that you enjoy.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures. Especailly the one with you and the puppy.
Love, Aunt Ruth