Tuesday, September 11, 2012

It's just past Doug's house...

The title of this blog has to do with the very long walk I embarked on today. See I have been eating a lot of sweets here and am becoming more conscious of at the rate I'm eating I'll come back with some extra baggage on my hips.

So I wanted to go on a walk today. Beth wanted to go grocery shopping so we combined the two. However, she said the store was just a little past Doug's house and so I thought it would be a nice.. medium long walk.

Well 3.5 miles later we show up at ASDA, the grocery store. Despite that my legs feel a bit like jello (I'm pretty out of shape) it was a fun walk. We got to talk and walk in the rain and just enjoy being in Belfast and laugh as we soon realized that the just past Doug's house theory was incorrect.

It is things like this that may have annoyed me back in the States that I just embrace here. Ok so we walked farther, but we got more exercise and just time together as roommates. We did however, take the bus back because after buying groceries, we thought it would be better to take the bus.  I had fun tonight.

Another photo from the farm with Caroline. 
And I had fun last night at Bowling Club with members from Garnerville and two Australians. It was just funny to be together, one person from Iowa, two from Australia, and the rest from Belfast. But great. I had fun talking and getting to know people better and just get to be there and participate in something they have done for quite some time. I am glad I have been invited to be a part of this group and have been invited to bring some of my housemates too!

Today was my first time at Child's Play at Garnerville and that was great too. I helped set up and then got to play with the kids a little and just kind of take in what was going on. I also got to go down to the Knocknagoney Community Centre where I will be spending part of my time and meet the people I will be working with there. They have a lot of programs there they want to start and it's all very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment