Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Birthday Weekend

Well, this past Friday I went to see John Bell with Beth at church close to our house.  John Bell is a hymn writer, Presbyterian preacher, speaker, and much more. He is also a part of the Iona Community. I probably could have derived a bit more from the session had I not been dealing with a sore throat, since most of the time we spent singing. However, it was great to hear him speak and sing songs from the Iona Community.

This Youtube clip is of him, however, it is not from the session we had with him. But some of the songs we sang are featured and he also said some of the same things to us.


I thought he had a lot of good things to say that did challenge me. He talked about how people fall in love with songs because they hold a memory. For instance, if I hear Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, I immediately think of a college dance routine.  The same thing goes for church hymns and that is why it is so hard to break people away from the singing the same songs. 

He went deeper into this subject and I found myself agreeing with him, but still in the end wanting to hear "O Come All Ye Faithful" on Christmas. I understand though why we need to introduce new songs into worship but I do understand that it can be hard, because it is hard for me.  

I was glad I went on Friday though, and I encourage you to watch the video because it will give some insight into what I experienced, even if it is not from the same night.

On Saturday I had the joy of being picked up by Caroline and her family for a surprise. I didn't know where we were headed to until that afternoon. Turns out we were going to Bangor and boy was I excited! 

Here is a map to show you where Bangor (pronounced Bang-grrr) is from Belfast. When we got there we went to Ward Park and fed the ducks at the pond.


It was really fun and we also looked at the exotic birds they have as well. We then went to the old cannon where Caroline suggested I should climb on it to get my photo taken because her and her sisters used to do that. So I climbed up on top and just as I was sitting on it, someone said "Be careful, it's slippery," and precisely at that moment I fell. Well .. not off entirely but was hanging upside down from it. I got a good laugh out of it as well as Caroline's sisters Kristina and Rachell, but I think I gave everyone else a mild heart attack. Had I fallen, it could have been quite bad because I would have smacked my head on the concrete. Klutzy Courtney. That would have been a great video for my blog but instead we got this picture after the whole debacle. 



After the park we took a walk along the beach and I got to see where Caroline and her sisters had grown up going. It was incredibly beautiful and such a clear day I could see Scotland.



We also stopped and enjoyed a cuppa tea/coffee and I had a lovely Malteser bun. Maltesers are an amazing candy similar to Whoppers back in the States, only I'd have to say way better. From Bangor we went back to Caroline's house and I got the lovely surprise of getting to meet her aunt, cousins, and sister's boyfriend in celebration of my birthday. I was treated to a scrumptious cake baked by Caroline and chocolate candies from her aunt. As well as some awesome presents, which I'm very stoked about.


So Saturday was just day one in my concern of celebrating my birthday. Because Sunday night at S.N.O.G I was surprised with another cake and had fun eating it and getting to know the girls that participate in that group. 

Then Monday, I was surprised by the rest of the YAVs. Anna and Tricia had made a pumpkin pie (pumpkin is quite rare in Belfast so it was extra awesome) and some presents from T.J. and David. After our meeting some of us went to a burger restaurant which was great because I haven't had a burger in over a month and it tasted great. 

On Monday nights I have bowling so I went again and had another cake there and got to celebrate with the members of Bowling Club. 


In addition, my name was also announced at the alley giving a warm Happy Birthday and I was serenaded by the Bowling Club. My name also appeared on the screen.


All in all, my birthday/weekend was wonderful and everyone did an amazing job making sure I felt at home in Belfast on my birthday. It was certainly a day I will not forget. 

(Also, Grace suggested we watch Lord of the Rings since it's my favorite movie... so we did, perfectly topping off my birthday!)


1 comment: