For those of you who have heard about the protests taking place here in Belfast. I want to assure you I am truly safe. The protests are in smaller pockets around the city and unless I go looking for trouble, I will not find it.
The protests have been a reaction to the a majority on Belfast City Council voting to only fly the Union Jack (United Kingdom Flag) on certain days at City Hall in the City Centre, instead of flying it every day.
I am not writing this to scare anyone, I am writing this blog to create awareness. I think sometimes it can be forgotten that I live in a city ... in a country with a tumultuous past, and despite how much things have changed positively here, there is still so much tension that can erupt and is erupting currently.
However, it is only a select few who are participating in these protests, not the entire population.
I think living away from interface areas and in a predominantly Protestant/Unionist side of town, I forget the division and tension sometimes too. However, as quick as I may forget, I am reminded on a daily basis of the division that is present here. Sometimes it is subtle or sometimes it is incredibly evident, like walking through an area with the Union Jacks flying everywhere, or a giant wall separating communities.
And now I am reminded whole-heartedly when I read the Belfast Telegraph and watch the news as the protests go on, that I am in a divided country. But that is also why I am here, to in some way shape or form make an impression of reconciliation and peace, even if it is slight. It is still a step farther forward than it is backwards.
I would encourage you to read the articles from the Belfast Telegraph below for more information.
Thousands stage protest over flag - UK, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
Belfast flag protesters battle riot police - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
No comments:
Post a Comment