Monday, June 4, 2012

I want to take a look back at a few years ago and why I wanted to become a Young Adult Volunteer with PC(USA). When I first tell people about what my future holds, some look at me with confusion and others exclaim their joy for me and this opportunity that I have been given.
I can remember sitting in my cubicle at Westminster Presbyterian Church when I worked there as a Communications Assistant and looking at the map of where Presbyterians were working in mission and service around the world. And I noticed the map showed Presbyterians working in Northern Ireland and my interest was sparked.
However, I didn't think too much of it until my friend Michael Sinklier, announced he was selected to be a Young Adult Volunteer in Lima, Peru. And I thought to myself, a Young Adult Volunteer? What is that?
So of course I researched the program, and researched some more and realized this was what I wanted to do when I graduated from college. From all the mission trips I went on with my church Senior High Group, I discovered my passion for mission and service work.
I loved the weeks spent working together with my fellow Senior Highs, seeing God's work through each other and the people we were helping, and knowing that whatever I was doing was helping someone even if it was in the tiniest way.
The only problem with these mission trips were that they were too short. I didn't get to see any progress made after we left and everything was so fleeting.
I participated in SUMMIT a Summer Mission Internship Team at my church where I served as an intern with Everybody Wins! Iowa, a literacy and mentoring program for 3 months. I loved being able to serve my community in another way along with others.
Now, I will be serving as a Young Adult Volunteer in Belfast, Northern Ireland for a full year, along with 7 other amazing people and my site coordinator. Words cannot express how incredibly excited I am to be able to have this opportunity and serve God in a different capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment