Saturday, June 16, 2012

I had a friend ask me a couple of days ago, what is the hardest thing to cope with right now. When I started to think about that, I thought the transitions. What I mean by transitions is that I have graduated from college which is a big transition and through all the paperwork and fundraising and various other things, am transitioning into being a YAV. It has been kind of hard to let it sink in that I'm done with college forever (unless I suddenly decide to go to grad school) and will be embarking on a new life changing adventure. And while I am transitioning into being a YAV, a lot of my friends are now transitioning into their new jobs, apartments, and lifestyles. I am no longer on the same page as most of them and that creates an interesting rift as well.

Which leads me into the realization that goodbyes will be difficult. There are moments when I realize that communication with my friends, family, and boyfriend will no longer be the simple reach for my phone and send a text or phone call. Not to mention face to face interaction. For being in a world that revolves around instant communication, this will be a big change for me.

Some people have told me that since I knew I wanted to be a YAV for awhile these things should not come as a shock. And in some ways they don't, however, there are a few differences in wanting to be a YAV and knowing you're going to be a YAV.

I knew I wanted to apply for the program since my freshman year of college, which left a lot of room to visualize how things may pan out. After applying to the program and learning my placement, a whole new reality sets in: I am going to Belfast! And that was incredibly exciting. But then, more reality hits as I learned about my placement within Belfast, and started going through the paperwork and fundraising: I am actually going to Belfast! And now that is incredibly exciting and a tad nerve-wracking as well.

I listen to Uncharted by Sara  Bareilles a lot because it's about your path in life being uncharted and not quite knowing to how things will work out. And I find the comfort in that you don't necessarily have to know how it will work out.

Now that I am officially done with the paperwork, I can start to relax a little and let it all these transitions settle in. I am looking forward to what the year has to bring and am so thankful for all the support I have received. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment