Friday, June 8, 2012

I have had questions about what I will be doing in Belfast and why there is a need for Young Adult Volunteers there. I thought I would share a video with you to help shed some light on these things. In it, you will see my site coordinator Doug Baker discuss the tensions that are still present in Belfast and what YAVs can do during their time of service. In addition, for more information about the YAV Program in general you may go to this link.


I have also received my placement, so now I can actually answer the question " What will you be doing while you're there?" I will be working at Garnerville Presbyterian Church. It is located at the interface of private housing and a low-income housing estate in East Belfast where there has been a strong Loyalist paramilitary influence.  My post includes helping to lead youth activities within the church, strengthen contact with the local primary school. The post also includes helping with programs at the community center in the housing estate, including parent/toddler group, and a drama group, as well as Urban Magnets – an outreach program for children operated in conjunction with the local Church of Ireland parish. I am so excited to be able to share this and looking forward to serving Garnerville for a year. 

In other news, I am steadily getting closer to raising my goal of $8,000 that the YAV Program requires each international YAV to raise. I have raised $4,922 so far, so that puts me past the half way mark. I am very blessed to have had a very supportive church congregation, friends, and family to help me in this process. 

P.S. If you are wondering about the photo at the top of my blog. My flat I will be sharing with 3 other girls is the one with the yellow door. Unless, Google Earth has led me astray. However, I know I live on Bathgate Drive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment