Also, I housesat for Peter the week before Italy and I had all the YAVs over to grill and hang out (of course I asked Peter first to make sure it was ok.) It was a good night full of laughter, and joking around. We've really become like a family over the year and I love them all. It will be really hard to all be separated once we go home. I haven't had a group of friends that close for a long time it seems like so I'm really going to miss having my YAV family.
![]() |
| Tj likes to either gross me out or scare me this is one of those times |
![]() |
| Just joking around |
![]() | |
|
![]() | |
|
We also had our last meal together with Doug and Elaine as YAVs which was great too. I had to refrain from crying at various points throughout the night. David wrote really beautiful poem about his YAV year here to us which .. David doesn't write poetry so it was surprising and meant a lot. So I will share it with you:
The Hopeless Wanderer
I've been called a hopeless wanderer and I guess that it's true.
I've been called a hopeless wanderer and I guess that it's true.
I've walked holes in these worn out shoes;
but I love every second of my storybook adventure, because it's led me to you.
You see, coming here changed everything.
My life will never be the same.
I've grown to love this place I’m living and you people are to blame.
But now the time has come for me to go.
It's time for me to put back on these worn out shoes and walk this lonely road.
Yet, somehow I'm not afraid.
I guess it's ‘cause you've taught me that no matter where I am I'm never far from home. Yes, it's hard to leave the ones you love and it's hard to say goodbye.
It's hard to turn and walk away,
but you've taught me leaving doesn't always mean goodbye.
So I'm no longer afraid to leave this place,
‘cause leaving means I'll get to come home again someday.
They say that life is about making mistakes and dying is about wishing you made more. Well if that's true, I'm glad I made a few with you
because you mean the world to me and I've learned so much from you.
What you have given me I can never repay.
Memories of times we've shared I'll carry in my mind, and wherever I am when the rain begins to fall my heart will come back to this place and I'll remember you.
I've been called a hopeless wanderer and I guess that it's true.
But really what’s happening is my family is swelling and I have a new place to come home to.
David also made a powerpoint comprised of photos from this year which was fun to watch and see what photos he chose but again made me a bit emotional inside. A card game was played as well: Nervous. It has been played on all the YAV retreats and has caused quite a bit of laughter. Overall it was a wonderful night with my YAV family and was a good way to end our last time together as group.
![]() |
| One last group photo (plus Stephen, Doug's son) |
![]() |
| Playing Nervous |
![]() |
| Playing Nervous |









No comments:
Post a Comment