Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Irish Holiday

After Christmas two fellow YAVs Kathryn and T.J. and I headed out for a long holiday in the Republic of Ireland on a Paddywagon Tour.

However, first Kathryn and I spent some time in Dublin prior to our tour and were able to see a lot of a lot of Dublin in a matter of a few days. We stayed at a local B&B which was nice and included a full Irish breakfast every morning so we started each day with a lot of energy.


We didn't have a lot of specific things on our itinerary besides the Irish House Party. It is a show that includes traditional Irish music and dancing by people who have been in the Irish music industry for years and is meant to be more as if you're in a local pub listening to music. 


Before we went to the show though we spent a whole day in the Chester Beatty Library. Chester Beatty was a man who collected many books, artifacts, art, and much more and it has been compiled into a an amazing exhibit. Kathryn and I both really enjoyed looking through the Sacred Traditions exhibit.


The Chester Beatty website states, "The Sacred Traditions Gallery exhibits the sacred texts, illuminated manuscripts and miniature paintings from the great religions and systems of belief represented in the collections - Christianity, Islam and Buddhism with smaller displays on Confucianism, Daoism, Sikhism and Jainism.

The Biblical Papyri, the remarkable collection of Qur'an manuscripts and scrolls and books of Buddhist thought provide the focus for the displays.
Audio-visual programmes on Rites of Passage in many faiths, prayer and pilgrimage enhance the displays.
It was broken down in a very simple way to help visitors understand important aspects of the different religions and it was incredibly interesting. I recommend the library to anyone who visits Dublin and another perk about it is that it is free!
Another really interesting part of our time in Dublin was attending the Peace Prayers service held in Christchurch Cathedral. It was compelling to attend the service just because of why I am here in the first place. It was moving to hear prayers said for the conflict that still remains on this island and more so in Northern Ireland. 
I wish more churches did peace services or that I was aware of ones that did so I could attend them. After the prayers were over everyone was encouraged to pass the peace, which I wish people had been more enthusiastic about doing but judging by many of their reactions, I think most of the people there were tourists who didn't mean to come to that service. I also lit a candle for peace and wrote in the prayer book as well. Altogether I found it a very moving experience. 
Afterwards we went down into the crypt of the church and explored and had lunch in the cafe there which was a surreal experience. Then we headed over to Dublinia, an exhibit of Viking and Medieval Dublin. It was very interactive with animations and recreations of people and how they would have lived during those times. I really learned a lot about Dublin's history during our time in Dublin which I was really grateful for and I now have a greater appreciation of the city. 
We also walked around Trinity College (the major site there is the Book of Kells but it wasn't open until after the New Year), Temple Bar, Dublin Castle, St. Patrick's Cathedral (we didn't have the chance to go in and see it) we found Townsend Street for me, and much more. I really enjoyed Dublin and revisiting some of the places I had been before as well as getting the opportunity to see more of Dublin. 
Night scene of Dublin and Ha' Penny Bridge

On New Year's Eve, we met up with T.J. and got on our Paddywagon Tour Bus! Our first day consisted of Connemara, a beautiful rugged land and Cong, a tiny village, before ending up in Galway. We rang in the New Year at a pub with the rest of our tour. It was fun and definitely a different experience celebrating with people from New Zealand, South Korea, Australia, Ireland, Germany, and many more. 

Connemara Scenery
Kylemore Abbey in Connemara


Group shot in front of Kylemore Abbey

Kathryn and I in front of Kylemore Abbey


The next day we set off to see the Cliffs of Moher and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I had a lot of people tell me that traveling down south during the winter wasn't the best choice because of weather.  However, most of our trip the weather was good, despite some misty rain. Seeing the cliffs for a second time was absolutely spectacular and I am so grateful I had the opportunity, and T.J. and Kathryn loved it as much as me. 

Cliffs of Moher

Me at the Cliffs of Moher

Me at the cliffs again



The next day we travelled around the Dingle Peninsula. It was really pretty and wonderful to see the coastline. We got to see Slea Head (if you click the link there is a video on the website that shows a lot of the peninsula) , a very scenic part that has a great view of the Blasket Islands, however, since it was very foggy that day we didn't really see that islands. Sadly we didn't get to see the famous Dingle Dolphin, Fungie, who has made his home in Dingle Bay and locals take tourists out to see on their boats. But we did get a photo with his statue.  
Me with the statue of Fungie

Dingle

Dingle  
T.J., Kathryn, and I on the Dingle Coast

After Dingle we headed onwards to Killarney and did a jaunting car ride through the Killarney National Park. A jaunting car ride was a horse drawn carriage with a tour guide. So it was really nice to experience the park that way. It was incredibly beautiful and I wish we could have spent more time in the park. 
I really enjoyed Killarney though, we walked around the streets and I bought an Irish flute which I am excited to teach myself how to play. We also spent time in a photo gallery for Peter Cox a famous photographer in Ireland and looked his work. We also talked with his assistant for awhile which was interesting as well. She originally came from Northern Ireland and was interested in our work in Belfast. We ended the night in a local pub listening to traditional Irish music. Great craic!

Killarney National Park 

Jaunting Car Ride 

Killarney National Park 

Roscommon Castle in Killarney National Park 

Jaunting Car Ride

Walking through Killarney at night 
The next day we set out to do the Ring of Kerry, an incredible scenic part of Country Kerry including several small towns. The weather wasn't perfect so some of the scenery was lost but it was still incredibly beautiful and interesting to see in the winter. 
On a side note I did like traveling in the winter because:
1. Everything was still decorated from Christmas and it was great to walk everywhere and see lights and Christmas trees still up.
2. The scenery is different but there are more hues of reds and oranges than just green.
3. It's not as crowded as prime tourist season so you don't have to wait in a cue for anything such as kissing the Blarney Stone.
My favorite part of the Ring of Kerry was going back into Killarney National Park and seeing Torc Waterfall. It was absolutely gorgeous and I really loved seeing it, maybe not falling as I tried to get my photo taken but it had to happen at some point on the trip. 

Kathryn and I on the Ring of Kerry

Beach in a town on the Ring of Kerry

 Ring of Kerry


Killarney National Park 

Torc Waterfall
The next day we were in Cork, which meant a stop in the world famous Blarney Castle. I know it's incredibly touristy but I loved going to the castle. It is really well preserved and fun to explore besides kissing the stone, which we all did. And I will admit it was terrifying. 





The video isn't of us kissing it but it shows that you have to hang upside down backwards, and when you realize that you are indeed afraid heights... as I discovered it is quite scary but it was worth it. 

Kathryn and I in front of the Blarney Castle 

Kathryn and I on top of the Blarney Castle. 

Group shot in front of the Blarney Castle 
We also went to Kinsale, a very cute harbor town and Cobh (pronounced Cove) another big harbor town that the Titanic made its last stop. 


Kinsale Harbor

Kinsale

Kinsale 

Kinsale harbor

Desmond Castle in Kinsale 

You had to pay €1 in order to use the toilet in Kinsale 

Our bus! 


In Cobh, we explored the dock area and the Catholic Cathedral that overlooks the town. 






Statue about the Titanic in Cobh

Cobh

The last dock the Titanic ever stopped at in Cobh

Catholic Cathedral in Cobh

Cobh

One last stop before the end of our tour was Kilkenny the medieval city of Ireland that is home to the castle built by Strongbow which was fascinating to see. 





Kathryn and I in front of Kilkenny Castle 

Then we concluded our last day in Dublin and going to the Guinness Brewery. Upon walking in, I felt like I was walking into the Chocolate Factory in Willy Wonka, there were purple lights and waterfalls. It was pretty incredible.. and seven stories high. We didn't have a lot of time to go through the tour but we made our way around and most importantly poured our perfect pints of Guinness. Which is actually far more complicated than I had thought. Between remembering what angle to hold the glass at and hold the tap, I got confused. And I admit my pint may have overflowed a bit too.


Kathryn and I in front of sculpture made to look like Guinness. 

Pouring my pint 

Me with my pint 

Group shot with our certificates 
In the end I really enjoyed our tour of Ireland and would do it all again. It gave the three of us a really good time to bond and see what I feel like is almost all of the Republic. 


Our awesome tour guide Shaun!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment