Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Greetings from Garnerville



So as a part of my regular morning routine, I checked my e-mail and was happy to discover an e-mail sent from the minister at my church placement, Peter McDowell. He said he was looking forward to having me and gave me a brief description of the church and what I would be doing there. It is another exciting part about this process, in learning more about what I will be doing in Belfast.

He explained I will have a chance to participate in some of the core activities they have at Garnerville and then will have the opportunity to develop work in the areas that interest me (he said from my information there will be plenty of opportunities, which makes me happy.)

I also learned more about the church and that it has about 170 people there on Sunday mornings and has a relaxed and easy going atmosphere. There are lots of activities for younger and older people which I will be able to help out with.

And the church is located in a residential area with mostly middle class, however there are two housing estates that are close by with more social needs. I will also have the chance to get involved with the work Garnerville does in partnership with the Church of Ireland (Episcopalian equivalent) in the community center and primary school.

I am really excited to learn more about Garnerville and it only adds to my excitement about being a YAV in Belfast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I have been shopping for some good waterproof tennis shoes and have been told Merrells are the best. However, I have bought a pair of North Face shoes in addition to Merrells and will be trying to figure out which are comfiest. I am notorious for buying shoes at the store only to put them on at home and say they don't fit. And since I never wear tennis shoes, I'm having a hard time adjusting to how big and clunky they feel on my feet.

I also have started planning a going away party which will be August 11th and most likely held at my church. Invitations and information will be coming out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment