The time is getting closer to my departure (27 days to Stony Point - 34 days to Belfast!) and with that I think my level of anxiety has risen a bit as well. I think what really gets me is how much of the next year of my life is unknown.
Which brings me back to a conversation I had with my friend Michael who was a YAV in Peru. I remember asking him "How do I know I'm really cut out for this?" And his response was that you really don't know if you are or not. But the thing is, you will never know unless you try. He had said he ran into YAV's who thought they were incredibly prepared and then struggled and vice versa. He explained that there is no possible way you can ever really know if it is the right next step in life because being a YAV means entering the unknown. And that conversation in turn brings me back to trusting God.
When I have talked to people about being a YAV they have said God wouldn't give you this opportunity if you couldn't handle that and I'm really finding comfort in that.
I'm still working on packing and hope to have everything ready to go by the end of next week so I can focus on little things as well as reading my briefing paper on Belfast. It's an introduction to just about everything I will need to know. If you would like to read it here it is (just know it's quite long). I also still have a few other books given to my at the Placement Event I need to read. So I will be quite busy still up until I leave.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For fun I also thought I'd share some of the talent from one of my fellow Belfast YAV's (and soon to be flat mate) Grace! She drew all of us Belfast YAV's below as well as a cute sign of our flat.


27 days to Stony Point - 34 days to Belfast!
ReplyDeleteAhhh maybe I should check the date of your post before I copy it off of your blog :)
ReplyDelete