I apologize for my lack in blogging the past weeks. There has been a lot of things going on here in Belfast for me and the YAVs so there is quite a lot to write about.
In February the YAVs went on our second retreat which was really great. We went to Donegal a county in the province of Ulster but a part of the Republic of Ireland.
Here is a map of Ulster one of the 4 provinces on the island of Ireland in which Donegal is included.
Map showing Northern Ireland
On the way to Lough Eske where we were staying in a holiday house, we stopped at Lough Derg.
It was incredibly beautiful and interesting to learn about all the pilgrimages that take place there. I would want to go on a shorter one if I have time later on but even if I don't, I do have a vast respect for those who do complete pilgrimages.
I may have also spent some time trying to pet a wee cat that had appeared along with a dog to greet the YAVs. However, the dog turned out to be far more friendly while the cat ran off whenever approached.
Group photo at Lough Derg
The cat I attempted to pet
Saint Patrick's Purgatory at Lough Derg
Lough Derg
Statue of Saint Patrick at Lough Derg
That night we watched Invictus, a movie about how Nelson Mandela used rugby to unite the country of South Africa. I found it very compelling and inspiring. I also found it eye-opening, because of all the parallels with the United States during the Civil Rights movement and with the situation here in Northern Ireland.
Divisions are everywhere in the world. I think that's one thing this year I've really realized. And these divisions are not just limited to race or religion, there are divisions economically, politically, and even in different communities.
Everywhere there are divisions, some are blatantly obvious and others are incredible subtle. What's sad is how oblivious we can become because we grow up surrounded by them. From this year, I have learned about what is behind these divisions and the tensions/problems they can create. But I found this movie to be an inspiration to moving past it all in a nonviolent way. And that it can be overcome with perseverance, hope, forgiveness, and faith.
Our second day consisted of a big task: hiking one of the tallest sea cliffs in Europe... Slieve League. I was never a walker before this year let alone a hiker. However, after not reaching the top of a massive hill with my youth group in Alaska I've kind of been bound and determined I would always go on the hikes with the rest of the YAVs and push myself to the top. It probably doesn't also hurt that on a normal basis I can walk up to 8 miles back and forth between work a week so I'm in better shape (not great but far better than before.)
It was incredibly sunny which is huge anywhere on this island so it made the day even better. Also, for those who don't know I love the sheep here and on the way up there were plenty of sheep so I was quite happy to attempt to pet them as well. Sadly, they ran off faster than the cat at Lough Derg (still fun to attempt.)
A sheep on the way up to the top.
Making our way up to the top
Another sheep
Waterfall on the way up.
Almost at the top!
Going up was tough and I will admit there were some times I thought I may not make it.But in the end I did and it was worth every sore muscle. The view was absolutely stunning and we were so high that we were almost in the clouds, giving the effect that you felt as if you were in heaven. And when you looked out at the view, all you could see were clouds and the sea which was beautiful. Almost too beautiful to believe it was true.
This shot was taken after climbing the cliffs when we went to a different area to view them
This shot was taken after climbing the cliffs when we went to a different area to view them
From the top of Slieve League
Beth, Kathryn, and I at the top of Slieve League.
From the top of Slieve League
From the top of Slieve League
From the top of Slieve League
I felt very accomplished having made it to the top and wanted to savor every last minute. Before climbing back down the YAVS gathered around to prayer and thank God for the marvelous creation he has given us in this Earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment