We have been discussing different ways to worship during church to add variety and give people new experiences and I had suggested having a visual prayer. For myself, I know having photos and music in addition to a prayer really adds more dimension for me and is quite powerful. So I suggested to do a prayer using images and music, and it was decided we would try it at Garnerville.
I had in mind the Prayers for the People we had used in YAV Placement and Orientation because it was an incredibly powerful prayer sung while images played. However, in the end I wrote my own prayer and found images to accompany it. It was an experience for me having never written a prayer but it ended up taking on a more meditative outlook than a normal prayer, which was fine. I enjoyed writing the prayer and finding the images to go along with it.
In the end, I thought it was really touching and found myself being rather moved by it as I was reading it on Sunday. I had people come and tell me after the service that they really liked how the prayer was done and that it had helped them to pray to have images and music.
The song we sang afterwards "Here I Am Lord" has always been a favorite song of mine, but it has never moved me that much to sing it until yesterday. It was almost as if I was actually hearing the words for the first time and understanding what they meant. And how to sing the words "Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord? I have heard you calling in the night" means so much more to me now being here on a YAV year. It was a wonderful experience. Below is the prayer I wrote and song we used.
No comments:
Post a Comment