"Nendrum is thought to have been set up by St Machaoi in the 5th Century and also has links to St Patrick in later sources. The monastery consists of 3 round dry stone walled enclosures, one within the other. There is evidence of industrial works in the outer enclosure; a central enclosure with a church ruin and sundial, the remains of a round tower and a graveyard. The middle enclosure has the remains of huts and workshops. It is thought to be the best example of a pre-Norman monastic site in NI."
I was really excited to go and enjoyed it a lot. It was incredibly peaceful that day with no wind. Which here in .. well pretty much the entire UK and Ireland is a big deal. So we had a picnic on the grass surrounded by ancient ruins of the monastic site and it was wonderful.
![]() |
| Here I am in the ruin of the Round Tower |
I am always fascinated with the ancient history that this island boasts and will be forever grateful for the opportunity to explore some of it. We explored the visitor centre and learned more about the site. I can see why the monks set up their monastery there because it was so serene and beautiful and it's also on and island in the Strangford Lough.
After our visit at Nendrum we went on down to see the remains of Sketrick Castle, which is on another island in the lough.
And after visiting the castle we went and got some Maude's ice cream, some of the best ice cream I've ever had, and sat outside to eat it.




No comments:
Post a Comment