On a whim David and I decided to do a wee trip down to Enniskerry in the Republic of Ireland. We had some spare time and thought it would be fun to do some hiking in the Wicklow Mountains.
On Thursday we made our way down to Dublin and stayed in a hostel. Friday morning we took the bus to Enniskerry and had our first mishap. Apparently you have to use coins on the busses and we didn't have any change when we got on the bus.
So the bus driver said to just get on anyways. I must admit I panicked most of the way to the town hoping we weren't going to get in trouble for not paying. However, when we arrived in Enniskerry the bus driver said just go get change and pay him. So we did that. It was an incredibly nice gesture. I think most buses anywhere wouldn't let you ride if you had no money on you to pay.
Enniskerry is a wee town of approximately 1500 that is on the edge of the Wicklow Mountains National Park, and I've never met people more friendly. After arriving in the town centre we walked 3 km to our B & B. I was needless to say a bit tired by the time we reached our destination. But we were greeted with kindness by the owner who made us a packed lunch and offered to drop us off at the trail head.
So we hiked up from car park to have great views of the Powerscourt Waterfall. It is Ireland's highest waterfall and was a spectacular sight. We also had great views of Sugar Loaf Mountain.
The weather was sunny and we had clear blue skies, so we couldn't have asked for anything better. It was really great to get away and just clear my head.
I think all YAVs have approached that awkward time in our years where we still have a few months here but the reality of going home is getting closer. So I know I have had some anxiety about leaving so taking a break for a few days and hiking was just what I needed.
The weather was sunny and we had clear blue skies, so we couldn't have asked for anything better. It was really great to get away and just clear my head.
I think all YAVs have approached that awkward time in our years where we still have a few months here but the reality of going home is getting closer. So I know I have had some anxiety about leaving so taking a break for a few days and hiking was just what I needed.
So David and I were really surprised to see a group of sheep get up and come over to the fence. I was really happy to actually get some good photos and see lambs up close, while David fed one his apple.
We concluded our day at the only place open late in Enniskerry.. the Italian restaurant but the food was lovely and really hit the spot.
The owner of the B&B called one of the four taxis in the village to come and pick us up and he was so nice to arrange a time to come collect us again right at the door of the restaurant. I honestly cannot get over how warm, friendly, and hospitable everyone was in the town. It was amazing and I wish everyone has a chance to experience that kind of hospitality at some point in their life. Overall, it was a wonderful day with gorgeous weather and incredibly nice people.
On Saturday, we met the only other guest at the house who coincidently enough was there to go to the Glencree Centre for Peace & Reconciliation. I find that this whole year is full of chance meetings like this, so much so that sometimes I think it isn't a coincidence. We had a good conversation about peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland and around the world and it was interesting to hear another perspective.
Later that day, the B&B owner said we could hike up their property through their fields of sheep (can you imagine how happy that made me? happy! except they all ran the moment we approached.) There was an spectacular view from the hills around the B&B; we could see the bay off to one side, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and Powerscourt Waterfall all at once.
We then walked to the Powerscourt Estate 3 km away from Enniskerry. Along the way we walked by the river until reaching the estate and then walked through the gardens. It was a lovely big mansion with plenty of flowers and sights to see in the gardens.
After spending some time there we walked back and got a lift down to the bus from the B&B owner. It was a very short trip but very enjoyable. I loved getting to spend time in a wee Irish village and seeing more of the great scenery this island has to offer. It helped refresh me and was what I needed.
Just some more photos from the trip.
![]() |
| Sugar Loaf Mountain |
![]() |
| Part of the Wicklow Way trail |
![]() |
| Part of the Wicklow Way trail |
![]() |
| Road back to the B & B |









No comments:
Post a Comment