Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Urban Saints Youth Leader Retreat

So this past weekend I was fortunate enough to be able to go on a retreat with some of the Youth Leaders for Urban Saints. What this meant is that I went with 10 of the younger kids that are leaders/training to be leaders in the youth drop in (Urban Saints) on Fridays.

On Saturday we headed up to Bushmills, where we had the privilege of staying at someone's holiday home.

After unpacking and having a bit of lunch we divided into groups and some of us went to Giant's Causeway and the rest went to the beach. I have wanted to see the Giant's Causeway for ...ever so you can clearly see why I was in the group that went there.

For some background information on Giant's Causeway you can watch this video.



Sidenote: My cat Finnegan is named after the giant Finn MacCool from the legend behind Giant's Causeway. 

A group of six of decided to go to the causeway. Upon arriving I was really excited to have the opportunity to see the causeway. 

Walking down the path to get there, I had a lot of built up anticipation waiting to see it. And finally getting there I was really happy because it was so spectacular. 

Just looking at the beauty of scenery there is no way you cannot thank God for the wonderful creation. Immediately I began to take lots of photos because that had been what I was really looking forward to, in addition to seeing it. I wanted to capture it.

Giant's Causeway

Giant's Causeway

Giant's Causeway

Giant's Causeway

Giant's Causeway

The tide was really high that day and the waves were crashing in all around, so it actually was a bit frightening to climb up to the top of some of the pillars. I felt like I was going to get blown away into the sea a few times, and I'm really happy I never managed to fall because it was really slippery in some places. 

My one goal however, was to get a good Christmas card picture so I borrowed John's Santa hat. I had fun taking several different photos of myself at the causeway. I got a few weird looks after because I couldn't be bothered to take off the hat and so I proceeded to wear it the rest of my time there. One person said "Wow you have a lot of Christmas spirit already." 

Group photo minus Poullette at the causeway



Poullette and I 
Potential Christmas card photo

Poullette and I again 

Overall I loved going to the Giant's Causeway and thought it was a lot of fun with the group. From the causeway we went back to Bushmills and had fun going through some of the shops there and did, well, a bit of shopping. We also made a trip to the Bushmills Distillery . Take a look at their website for more information. However, we only went into the gift shop to take a look around but we still got to see some of the distillery, which was really cool. Hopefully at some point I'll make it back and take the tour and see how the whiskey is made.

Painting of the giant from Giant's Causeway in Bushmills 
Bushmills Distillery 

Bushmills Distillery 

Bushmills Distillery 

After eating dinner, we all gathered together and played some team bonding games. Let's just say I wasn't very good at most of them but still had a really good time playing. 

Later on we went to Portstewart for Morellis ice cream (if you recall its the same place where I went on the MAD weekend.) Now, I was excited to get ice cream and most importantly Morellis ice cream. And I would always say I eat ice cream at any time of the year, even in the winter when it is really cold. However, I always eat it inside. Well, not this time. We got our ice cream and then proceeded to go back outside (mind you it was... well a Northern Irish term would be Baltic for absolutely freezing) and walk next to the sea.

That led to some of the leaders joking about how we were going to get hypothermia. Even though it was incredibly cold, and I wouldn't recommend eating ice cream like that, it has given me good memories and jokes to look back upon.

I told myself and another leader that "Well I just need to be thankful I get to have this experience in Northern Ireland, even if I'm really cold."

The next day we spent some time at the beach in Portrush but not before making a stop at Dunluce Castle so I could photograph it.


Dunluce Castle 


The castle has an interesting past:

From the Dunluce Castle website, "In 1639, while the second Earl and his Countess were there, part of the castle including the kitchens fell into the sea; seven cooks went with the kitchen but an itinerant cobbler was said to have survived in a corner of the vanished room." 

The beach was gorgeous, and we spent our time there playing catch, walking around, me taking photos, and watching the surfers (yes people surf here ..year round.) 



Portrush 
Portrush

Surfer at Portrush 

Group photo at the beach 
I am so blessed to be able to go on different retreats but more so blessed to work with the people and youth here. This retreat gave me a chance to get to know these youth a lot better, because it can be harder sometimes at Urban Saints since everyone is running around doing different things. I am incredibly grateful to have had this opportunity. I even got to find out that one of the boys is interested in photography so we bonded over that and I let him look through my camera and take a few photos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment